Saturday, December 11, 2010

#reverb10: Out with the...


Prompt: 11 Things. What are 11 things your life doesn't need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?

Eleven things, huh? I can think of eleven circumstances I'd like to eliminate in 2011, or eleven diseases from which I'd like to rid the world, or eleven less than positive thoughts, but eleven things? This is going to take some thought. I guess that's the point of #reverb 10. I think I'm grateful...

1.The Hammond organ in our living room. A gift from the estate of a former church member, our FBC had taken organ lessons and the deceased thought the Hammond, in a beautiful maple cabinet, would be just the thing for her. FBC never really fell in love with it and so it's a pretty big dust gatherer these day.

2.The enormous number of counted cross stitch patterns I've collected over the years. It's ridiculous. I've moved on to other needlework and crafts, and would never have gotten to all of them in twenty lifetimes, even if I had continued to cross stitch every day of my life.

3.Out of date sweaters. Say no more.

4.Six years of quilting magazines I was gifted with by the sponsors of the books sale held at the church. Even a real quilter doesn't need all of these magazines.

5.My college yearbook. I don't really think I need it.

6.I really don't think I need 37 wine glasses in my china cabinet. (But maybe I do. See why I still have them?)


Maybe this prompt is about more than material things.
If so....I'm getting rid of this in 2011:

7.More weight. I'm doing very well in this department, but I can do even better.

8.Putting off learning to cross-country ski. This is the year. I see it coming...

9. Clutter. Mental clutter, physical clutter, you name it. I'm going to address clutter in 2011.

10.Lame excuses. I'm going to hold myself accountable for numbers 1-9. No lame excuses. They're going...

11.Negative self-talk. I'm too old for this. I'm going to discourage it in myself and others.


Image from here.

6 comments:

Rev SS said...

wow .. busy year ahead! wishing you much success with all this

Jan said...

Jennifer, you and I are definitely soul sisters. IF I did this prompt, I would repeat everything you wrote! AND I need to lose more weight, even though I've done well in this front and have gotten lax about trying.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I have high school yearbooks, college yearbooks, and vet school yearbooks. At the time they seemed important...

Really resonate with the decluttering of #9.

Terri said...

instead of cross-stitch and quilting mags I'd have to say, remnants of skeins of yarn - too small to make anything with....unless I make a couple of pairs of very eclectic socks...

negative self-talk, I'm doing a lot of that lately....doesn't help, does it...and really probably falls into the category of sin - not loving self?

Mika said...

I just LOVE this idea! I never thought about listing the things that we can do without. It means that we finally make the decision that it in fact needs to go. Nice.

PS glad you liked the image ;)

Diane M. Roth said...

I like your list!