Wednesday, December 8, 2010

#reverb10- Beautifully Different


December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)

This is a difficult reflection for me to consider. I do not think that I'm particularly different. When I was ordained in 1983, it was less usual for women to be ordained to ministry, and I was one of the youngest persons to be ordained to the ministry of Word and Sacrament earlier on the very day that the former UPCUSA and PCUS denominations voted to reunite and become the PCUSA. At 23, being a Presbyterian clergywoman made me different.

Once upon a time, as half of a clergy couple, as co-pastors, I was different, but the world is filled with people like us now. I was the first woman pastor in several settings in which I served, and am the first woman head of staff pastor at the church at which I currently serve. However, I'm about to begin my eighth year here and I don't think folks think "different" when they think of me.


I'm freakishly afraid of bats, however. Does that make me different?

3 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

You are beautifully different using your voice...in emails, in blogging, and when you answer ATM questions.

Unknown said...

I'm freakishly scared of them, too, so I will echo Purple.

Jan said...

I love your differences that are so often like mine! I would not have thought of bats, but I don't like them either.