Tuesday, December 7, 2010

#reverb 10- Community

December 7 – Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

Certainly, RevGalBlogPals has provided me with some very special connections and a warm sense of community among clergywomen and friends. I participated in an e-course through Abbey of the Arts this fall, and I think it might have given birth to a new sense of community with the other participants, but it came during the tumultuous fall of 2010, and I didn't avail myself of it.

I've found Twitter to be a great connecting point, 'tho mostly with people with whom I already have a connection. The great exceptions are two amazing resources in Liz McGowen who served as my coach as I was preparing my sabbatical proposal and Heidi Fischbach whose Aardvark Essentials were a wonderful Christmas gift last year.

I have resisted signing up for Facebook, because there's only so much one can keep track of. I feel as though I would constantly suffer from Facebook fail if I signed up, because I don't scrapbook effectively, nor do I take good pictures, nor do I write good Christmas letters and all of those seem to be connected.

Instead, in 2011, I think I'd like to be a better friend IRL and connect with new friends and friends of long-standing. I want to pick up the phone more than I e-mail. I want to write more old-fashioned snail mail letters and notes. I want to meet for lunch or coffee and create and participate in community more deeply in these ways.

5 comments:

Jules said...

Maybe in 2011, worlds can collide and we can meet in person...

Yeah. I'd like that.

Terri said...

I like the idea of meeting more IRL...coffee anytime!

Unknown said...

Come to Maine! Everyone does, eventually. :-)

Unknown said...

A good mix/cross-section in your community. Glad to be a part of it as well.

btw...thanks!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Oops!!! wrong account...penguin is my "test blog"...now defunct, except for the email and login.

Sign me as "purple" to that last post.