Friday, January 23, 2009

Out in the Open


So, it's like this: I am emotional eater. I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad.
I use food as a comfort and a reward. When I'm tired, it's just so easy to order take-out, particularly pizza, which my family loves. (Plus, we live in Chicago, where there is no shortage of fabulous pizza options.) Add to the mix my life-long devotion to ice cream, and you sense the issues, I'm sure.

DH and I had a long conversation about all of the great reasons we could think of to spend this year experimenting with not making any unnecessary purchases on clothing, entertainment, just being more frugal. I have a closet full of great clothes that will all fit, with some attention to diet and exercise (but not without!)I'm turning 50 in four months and want to be healthy and fit. I know that it won't get any easier. I know there's no magic in this. I believe that I can be successful, but to be honest, it's maintaining weight loss that's hard for me. This time, I want it to be different.

After much thought, I took the plunge yesterday and signed up for WW. Again. This time, I'm trying the online version, thinking that I can do a lot of tracking and accountability right here at the computer.

It's frustrating and embarrassing to admit that I'm still, after all these years, wrestling with this issue of weight. I've had success with WW before. I hope to again. I'm going to try and think about it as a long-term project, perhaps for the rest of my life. I continue to believe that there are a lot of circumstances in my own life over which I have no control, but that weight does not have to be one of them.
Here goes....

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the online tools! But I also highly recommend the meetings, for the support. You can do both for one monthly fee now. Also, if you're looking for a supportive online group outside WW, shoot me an email.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

If we were dividing into groups...you and I would be together. Seminary sort of "did me in" and if I could add together the number of times I lost that 10 pounds...I'd be back to the weight I want.

Joan Calvin said...

I am trying to lose weight and eat better. I've been at it since after Christmas. No weight loss, but I am exercising a lot. It doesn't get any easier. In my other blogging life, I started checking in on Fridays. Two more of my lj friends started checking in too. I'm 10 pounds over what would be the highest non-overweight weight for me and 30 pounds over a good weight for me. I'd love to lose 20 pounds. but right now, my goal is to complete a sprint marathon on my 63rd birthday (I'm really only 48, but the calendar says I'll be 63) in September.

I've been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for about eight years now.

Jennifer said...

Dear Friends,
You make me laugh and smile.
Songbird- I'll be shooting you an e-mail.
Purple-I so hear you.
Joan Calvin-I think I'm considerably younger than 49 in my head, too. Tell me more about a "sprint" marathon.Haven't I been reading about a mini-triathalon on your blog? Are they the same?

Jan said...

Jennifer, I am so impressed with your commitment. I've joined WW innumerable times and just recently have been considering it again. Unlike you, I am nearing 60 (in two years)and am realizing that if I don't do something soon, I'll be big, fat old lady who can't even move! Keep us posted. And thanks for that wonderful cartoon.

Jan said...

I've decided that I have to steal the cartoon for my blog. It too exactly describes how I'm feeling!! Thanks.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

You can do this.

Last June, my doctor told me my cholesterol had just bumped into the high category. She wanted to put me on meds, but I asked to try diet first. I totally changed the way I ate. It was an abrupt and difficult transition, but I lost 15 pounds last year, and my health improved in other ways too.

And the good news for you in this? I was three months shy of turning 50 when she gave me that news. So you can do this too.

Jennifer said...

Jan- I'm already your friend; I'd be happy to be your WW buddy, too.
Ruth- Your words are so encouraging. Thank youfor understanding exactly where I am...

Terri said...

I know a lot of people who have had great success with WW...but, well, selfishly I have to say - I soooo miss Chicago pizza - beats the daylights out of the soggy, bready, cheesy (and NO sauce) barely passes for pizza - that we get here. (ok, I am only mildly opinionated on this topic....).

Katherine E. said...

Oh, I wish you well with that, Jennifer. You can do it!

(Things are going well with my personal trainer. I'm exercising regularly for the first time in my life! Feel really good about that. BUT I'm eating more--that little voice keeps saying, "You're exercising--so go ahead and have that ice cream!" Ugh.)

Deb said...

I need to do something too. When I am motivated, I am successful, but right now I am constantly sabotaging myself. I know this, but am unable to stop. WW has helped, exercising helps, but nothing works unless I want it to work. I am praying I find the motivation and/or uncover what is is that wants me to fail.

Barbara B. said...

I agree with those who said: You can do this!!!

Diane M. Roth said...

I don't know much about WW, but have bee thinking about some sort of support system.

Diane M. Roth said...

I need to lose weight, and like Ruth, my cholesterol is high.