Friday, January 16, 2009

Books and Movies


I'm a latecomer to the Julia Spencer-Fleming mystery series, but devoured all six when I had a few days off at New Year's. The writing is great, the character development is wonderful, and it's hard not to relate to Rev. Clare Fergusson, the Episcopal priest whose life is an open book in all of Spencer-Fleming's tales. I loved every installment.

Yesterday I finished Overnight Float, a collaborative mystery written by former Smith and Mt. Holyoke College presidents Jil Ker Conway and Elizabeth Kennan. It reads like a first novel and is not as smooth as the Spencer-Fleming books in style, but the brave protagonist is Rev.Rosemary Stubbs, newly ordained chaplain at fictitious Sanderson College in Vermont. It was a quick read, and as a former college chaplain, I enjoyed the setting of the mystery.

I'm taking the challenge of keeping track of what I'm reading for fun at the bottom of the left hand column of the blog. I'm enjoying reading others' reviews and lists, too.

There are so many great movies out and so many I want to see. I was glad to see Marley & Me over the holidays and laughed and cried as any devoted dog lover would. I'm heading out with our evening adult education class to see Doubt on Sunday. Can't wait...

6 comments:

Sue said...

I can't wait to see Doubt! Do let us know what you think of it....

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I will add these to my growing list...but they sound great. Thanks.

Rev SS said...

Doubt is excellent! Want to see it again. And, now I have more books to add to my growing "want to read" list.

Jan said...

I always like the books you recommend--so here's a mystery I'll have to read.

Tomorrow I am meeting my daughter in San Antonio, and we'll either see "Doubt" or "Milk." I want to see both, but the latter is not coming to Corpus Christi at all, so maybe that needs to be the one to see.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Another mystery series to add to my list!

Joan Calvin said...

I'm going to have to look for that book!