Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Another new day...




This is exciting news....


"But first, Mr. Obama traveled to the National Cathedral for an interfaith prayer service that was also attended by Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and former President Bill Clinton and Mrs. Clinton, who all shared a front pew.

The tradition of a national prayer service dates to George Washington. Since Franklin D. Roosevelt’s inauguration in 1933, it has generally been held at the National Cathedral, an imposing Gothic sanctuary that sits on a hill overlooking the city.

Some new traditions were also being made. The service featured no fewer than 20 interfaith clergy, including woman leaders of the Muslim and Hindu faiths. And for the first time, the preacher was a woman, the Rev. Dr. Sharon E. Watkins, general minister and president of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a mainline Protestant denomination.

The service featured a gospel choir of African American children in crisp white shirts and black pants and dresses, many of whom broke into smiles as they filed in on glimpsing the new president. They sang a rocking rendition of “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands.”"

From the New York Times...

9 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I saw a clip of the preacher telling Obama, "Tag, you're it," and I was so heartened to see she was a woman.

Diane M. Roth said...

I know! I heard this little bit on the radio, too!

so great!

Unknown said...

I'm sad that the UCC went unrepresented, but I guess that comes as no surprise.

Jennifer said...

Songbird,
I feel your sadness, but the UCC was alone in being unrepresented...there were no Presbyterians or Lutherans, either, but it was great to have an array of women in leadership.

Rev SS said...

Yes! way cool!

Barbara B. said...

Yay for the preacher being a woman!!!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Yes, indeed...another new day. May there be more and more of them.

Katherine E. said...

Oh it's wonderful. I had lunch with Watkins once--she's great.

Terri said...

I watched some of the service on cnn.com on my computer at work - and heard most of the sermon - it was awesome! And when she got to that line, and Mr. President...I said, tag - you're it, just as she did - so I guess I was really in synch with her thoughts! Love the interfaith aspect of the prayer service, love that the Church is an Episcopal Church, even as it is the National Cathedral....and loved watching TEC Presiding Bishop give the benediction....sadly I missed the kids - would have LOVED that...