Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Life is real! Life is earnest!


It's the sixth day of Christmas and, for the congregation I serve,the day we say farewell to a pillar of the church and the community who passed away just before Christmas.

Along with passages from Micah, Colossians and Philippians, we have chosen Longfellow's Psalm of Life for the memorial service. One of the readings I will offer in my homily is by Mary Oliver. Beautiful pieces, both, which help to describe a woman who embraced life with passionate, sparkling love and concern for all.

A big ol' collection of food is heading to the food pantry today. I am ready for a full weekend of training new officers and celebrating Epiphany. I am ready to hop on a train later this afternoon for a trip to see my in-laws.

I am looking forward to a brand new year. I continue to hold hope for our president-elect to be an agent of change and reconciliation. My prayer is that we, as a nation and that other nations, too, can listen well, and be renewed in our own capacities to respond to the needs of the world with expansive hearts.

Wishing you deep peace in this new year.

10 comments:

Deb said...

What a beautiful poem from Mary Oliver! I suspect that this service you will be leading will be comforting, positive, and truly celebratory.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

One of my favorite Mary Oliver poems.

Deep peace...thank you so much for your support and help during this call process...it has helped me to have deep peace.

Terri said...

I did not THAT Mary Oliver poem - fabulous!

Hope the service goes well, have a safe and fun trip!

Diane M. Roth said...

what a lovely poem. what a lovely woman she must have been.

prayers for your congregation and for the new year.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That is a terrific Mary Oliver poem. I just bought that collection. I can't wait to start reading it.

Barbara B. said...

Beautiful poem.


I love train trips! And I love that picture.

Rev SS said...

Beautiful poem. I too continue to hold hope for our president-elect, change and reconciliation in the new year.

Jan said...

Good thoughts and lovely poem. You are a gem.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

so far, so good... hope your heart is filled with peace & possibilites this new year...

Stratoz said...

Beautiful photo. I too share your hope. If we can sit back and say, "wow," when looking at the two ministers he has asked to be at the inauguration, instead of being angry, than maybe that change can happen. I am not hearing too many people saying wow, hopefully they are seeing it that way.