Wednesday, November 5, 2014

NaBloPoMo-Day 5: Collecting Sounds

I learned a mindfulness technique earlier this year, in which one is still and listens for ten distinct sounds. It has become my favorite thing to do while waiting. I walk the dogs and collect sounds. I ride the train and scan for conversation, music, train wheels, babies cooing. I sit in doctor's office waiting rooms and collect the sounds around me.I collected sounds as I walked down Michigan Avenue today. I am calmer because of this practice and I know I am less anxious. I love this practice.

1 comment:

Teri said...

I love it!

I have been teaching people to notice five new things (i.e., things they've never noticed before) about whatever space they are in or people they are with. Great mindfulness moment, wonderful spiritual practice....and I'm so grateful to the neuro-researchers who discovered it's one of the quickest ways to stop an anxiety spiral. :-)