Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Old School



We've had a flurry of difficulties with e-mail and access to the Internet at work of late. On some days we can receive but not send e-mail. On other days we can send but not receive e-mail. We realize how incredibly dependent we are on e-mail at times like these. And although it's time consuming to make individual phone calls when an e-mail to a group would take no time at all, it is a good thing to be old school and have the benefit of a live conversation, complete with intonation. It's a good thing.

I'm not ready to give up e-mail for Lent, but the slower process of phoning has provided a nice spiritual practice on this day that Lent begins.

3 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

actually, I've been thinking about something kind of like this lately: I rely too much on technology. Would technology could I give up for lent, that might force me to be present to people more?

good thoughts....

Barbara B. said...

Yep, sometimes old school is a good thing :)

Terri said...

given some of the horrible acting out behavior I've seen lately, much of which is communicated via email, I am close to deciding that email is of the "evil one"... I mean it can be used for good, but far to often these days it is used for evil...sigh...

I choose to make phone calls for business...unless it is just planning a meeting.