Sunday, June 12, 2011

Reading


I'm trying to catch up on my reading and I'm having a good time.
Here are some of the books I'm reading right now:

Journey in the Wilderness by Gil Rendle. Our Synod is reading and reflecting upon it. It's a dense read, but very, very interesting.

A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson. Part of my summer with Eugene Peterson, I am enjoying this book on the psalms of ascent.

The Life You Can Save by Peter Singer. This is a great book by a renowed professor of ethics at Princeton University and makes a remarkable case for how challenging, yet possible, ending world poverty could be.

Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker is a BookSneeze read I'll be reviewing soon. It's filled with good, sensible advice.

Two books by David Walsh, on parenting called No- Why Kids of all ages Need to Hear it and Ways Parents Can Say itand Why Do They Act That Way? Good parenting guidance offered here.

This Odd and Wondrous Calling by Lillian Daniel and Martin Copenhaver. Tremendous book. I appreciate every word.

Hope Will Find You by Naomi Levy. I've long been a fan of Rabbi Levy's writing. This reflection on her daughter's disease and her own response as a person of faith is most moving.

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I'm re-reading this as a place to find writing prompts for 750 words per day. I'm developing a good practice here that is a lot like taking deep breaths to start the day.

The Wisdom to Know the Difference by Eileen Flanagan. I just finished this wonderful book this evening. It is a forthright look at our response to change. I felt as though I was having a conversation with a friend while reading this honest Quaker author's reflections.
That's what I'm up to this week. What are you reading?

1 comment:

Jan said...

Jennifer, oddly I just posted about a book I read this weekend-- a biography of James Tiptree, Jr/Alice B. Sheldon--an amazing woman. I always love to find out what you are reading, as I trust your judgment.Thank you.